The history of the Nuestra Señora del Pilar parish (Our Lady of the Pillar) begins almost at the same time as that of the district it is in. For this reason, the residents of San Isidro recognize it as a distinctive landmark of the district.
In 1926, Father Lucas Zaradona visits the House and the Chapel of the Hacienda of San Isidro, as well as the cotton camps that were just beginning to become urbanized, and finishes in a good sector for building and establishing a convent of his orden: Passionist Missionaries of the Jungle.
The owners of the lands, the Moreyra Paz Soldán family, received the proposal with enthusiasm and facilitated the Father with provisional lodgings in their hacienda-house for the order’s priests. At the same time, they donated land on which could be built a communal house as well as a temple where the residents of San Isidro could have a place of worship.
On June 29th 1926, the life and activity of the Passionist Fathers of San Isidro begin. On November 1st of the same year, the convent, also known as retreat home was inaugurated. The first Nuestra Señora del Pilar Church, it’s official name, was ready in 1937
On April 20th 1937, Father Constancio Bollar assumes the position of parish priest. He would lead the fate of the parish for many years. From that date, the Father’s life and apostolic zeal have joined the life and history of the parish and the district.
On September 27th 1943, the archiepiscopal curia elevates the Church of San Isidro to the category of Autonomous Parish, dedicated to Our Lady of the Pillar. In 1948 the construction of a new neo-colonial styled church begins over the foundations of the first one. Since being founded, both the Congregation of Passionist Fathers and the Nuestra Señora del Pilar Church have been points of reference in the spiritual life of the residents of San Isidro.
The high altar of the Nuestra Señora del Pilar Church is decorated with a beautiful, colonial altarpiece from the 18th century, donated by the De la Borda family, brought from the San Francisco Javier Church, located in the San José de Nazca Hacienda, in their property. It’s an extraordinary, Baroque-styled piece of craftsmanship, made in carved wood and covered in gold leaf, standing at 15 meters of height by 9.50 meters of width.
Its ample central nave allows it to house a numerous quantity of parishioners and, traditionally, is used by resident of San Isidro to celebrate weddings and baptisms.
October 12th is the Virgin of the Pillar’s day of celebration.
Municipalidad de San Isidro (Lima - Perú)
Centro de Atención al Ciudadano. Calle 21 N° 765
Central:  513-9000 / Alerta San Isidro:  319-0450 / Alo Rentas:  513-9001