On May 26th 1925, the “Country Club Owners S.A.” company was constituted with an investment of 150,000 Peruvian pounds. Its Board of Directors was made up by Walter C. Hebard (Vice-president of Foundation Company) as its President and Marino Ignacio Prado Ugarteche (President of the Banco Popular of Peru), Alfredo Álvarez Calderón, Demetrio Olavegoya, Harold Kingsmill (Manager of the Cerro de Pasco Corporation), Augusto Benavides and Percy L. Batchelor as Directors. The Country Club Owners S.A. Company was created with the purpose of building the Country Club and urbanizing the neighboring area of 1’300,000 square meters acquired at 53 cents a square meter, belonging to several haciendas: that of the Count of San Isidro (110,000 m2), Lobatón (125,000 m2), Matalechuzas (175,000 m2) and Orrantia (774,000 m2) and 116 m2 more. This urbanization had as a main axis just one avenue (currently, Javier Prado), made up of two sections and 40 meters in width which joined up Arequipa Avenue with Brasil Avenue, right beside the “town” of Magdalena. The aim of this avenue was to connect the Lima Country Club with Miraflores (the district to which all these lands belonged to during that time) and Magdalena. It was calculated that the lands of this urbanization would be sold at 15 soles per square urbanized meter to reinvest part of the earnings in the construction of the new building.
In 1926 the “Lima Country Club” is founded, an independent company to the previous one though maintaining financial control, as a result of the joining of the Country Club with several other clubs: Nacional, de la Unión, Phoenix, Francés, Italiano, Español, Alemán, Santa Beatriz Jockey Club, Lawn Tennis de la Exposición, Polo and Hunt Club, and Lima Golf Club. A governing board made up of seven people was created, four of which were named by the Lima Country Club and the other three from the aforementioned clubs. An admission fee of 25 Peruvian pounds was fixed for all future members as well as a maintenance fee of 12 Peruvian pounds a year. Foreigners would be able to use the Country Club’s facilities by paying a yearly quota of 8 Peruvian pounds.
This new company hired the firm “Benavides (José) Álvarez Calderón – Ingenieros, Arquitectos y Constructores”, also known as the “Lima Building Company” for the development of an architectonical project for the club’s premises and hired, for the project’s construction, the Foundation Company of New York. The latter was established in Peru since 1920 to carry out the lay down of the water and waste networks of the Lima Historical Center, as well as the paving of its streets, the restoration of the Real Felipe castle in Callao, the National Cement Factory in Atocongo and the construction of the Arequipa and Progreso avenues (the latter now called Venezuela). The task of completing the designs, after a series of modifications, was entrusted to the North American architect T.J. O’Brien, who finished the project and inspected the construction. A great part of the materials for the construction were imported from the United States and Great Britain.
The construction of the Country Club was initiated in August 1925 and the premises were inaugurated on a Sunday, February 8th 1927 by President Augusto B. Leguía.
For this occasion, a lunch was given to the President, his Ministers and a series of political, intellectual and artistic figures of the city. A little time after the inauguration, in September o the same year, Harold Kingsmill, Demetrio Olavegoya and P.L. Batchelor resigned the Board of Directors and were replaced by César A. Coloma, David Dasso and H.J.S. Griffin, thus constituting the new Board which started the administration of this magnificent social establishment.
From those long-gone times until the mid-70’s, the Country Club was the favorite meeting place for Lima’s society for the most important events. During its 70 years of existence, the Country Club Hotel has received innumerable personalities and people related to politics and entertainment, including, among its guests, heads of state, princes, and international diplomatic dignitaries during its best times. The most important events were wedding parties, celebrations for various people of renown, conferences on varied topics, carnival and New Year balls, camaraderie luncheons, and great banquets. Among the important guests lodged at the Country Club Hotel stand out the Duke of Windsor and his wife, for whom he gave up England’s throne, the French President Charles de Gaulle, the Ambassador Pérez de Cuellar, actress Ava Gardner and many other representatives of politics, art, literature and the entertainment business.
The subsequent constructions to augment the number of rooms, the installation of the Aquarium restaurant, where, later on, a Chifa also served, and the leasing of the premises to be turned into a casino produced certain changes that temporarily concealed the stunning appearance of the original building.
Nevertheless, in December 1996, the Real-Estate Consortium Los Portales took a concession on the Country Club, jointly with ICA, from Mexico, to restore its traditional beauty and splendor. With a multi-million investment, the hotel was remodeled maintaining its original structure and opened its doors once again on July 21st 1998.
The Country Club Hotel was declared a Cultural Heritage by a Resolution from the Ministry of Education and the National Institute of Culture.
Municipalidad de San Isidro (Lima - Perú)
Centro de Atención al Ciudadano. Calle 21 N° 765
Central:  513-9000 / Alerta San Isidro:  319-0450 / Alo Rentas:  513-9001