A mixture of modernity and viceregal history, the district of San Isidro has risen over what were rustic farms and country estates of San Isidro and San José of Huatica or Miraflores. These estates were settled in the pre-Columbian area of Huatica, which in the indigenous tongue means ‘the City of the Evil Spirit’. Here is where the seigneury of the Huallas, who had Puglia Caxa as chief. In colonial times, when the lands were first distributed, the region of Huallas was given to the most noble Nicolás de Rivera, known as ‘El Mozo’, founder of the City of the Kings.
In 1560, Don Antonio de Rivera, Attorney General, Mayor and Field Marshal for Gonzalo Pizarro, brought the first olive trees to Peru. These were the starting point for the El Olivar Forest San Isidro is so famous for. This beautiful heritage took on the names of many of its owners. Among these, are the names of Martín Morón, Don Pedro de Olavarrieta, Don Tomás de Zumarán and Don Antonio del Villar. In 1777, it was acquired by the Count of San Isidro. In 1853, Don Gregorio Paz Soldán took possession of the Forest, and, finally it was passed onto the Moreyra and Paz Soldán family.
In 1920, the Property Development Company of San Isidro Ltd. created, entrusting a development project to sculptor Manuel Piqueras Cotolí, who conceived a diverse and irregular blueprint, aiming to achieve a picturesque neighborhood and, most likely, with the hope that it would present an architectonic design with a certain harmony and character.
The first residential area spread out around the El Olivar Forest down the length of Los Conquistadores Avenue and the roundabout where nowadays lies the Father Constancio Bollar Plaza. Within the very park, El Olivar, 41 blocks of various sizes were set aside for sale, covering an area of 22,400 m2. In 1924, the creation of the Orrantia urbanization was authorized, which constituted an important neighborhood with a first-class avenue, such as Javier Prado. In 1925 the Country Club urbanization was created, with a building and polo field respectively, which formed another center with great pull for the district.
Subsequently, the urbanizations of San Isidro, Orrantia and Country Club were segregated from Miraflores and went on to make up a new district by Decree 7113 on April 24th 1931, with its first council being established on May 2nd of the same year, and with Dr. Alfredo Parodi becoming the district’s first mayor.
Currently, San Isidro has become one of the one of the most thriving districts in the country. And yet, despite the modernity it’s known for, it still preserves important legacies from both our indigenous and colonial culture, combined with the most refined architectonical designs, making it one of the most beautiful, traditional and historical districts of Metropolitan Lima.
Today we appreciate a jurisdiction that has a tourist-based interest on its urban beauty and its history, a testimony of the district’s importance in times of particular transcendence for the evolution of nationhood.
The district of San Isidro, being officially created as such in April of 1931, was constituted with part of the El Olivar hacienda and the Orrantia and Country Club urbanizations. San Isidro shares a border to the North with the district of Lince and La Victoria, to the East with San Borja, to the South with Surquillo and Miraflores, and to the West with Magdalena del Mar and the Pacific Ocean.
San Isidro, nowadays, is a district that mixes tradition with modernity and progress. Its urban development with houses, apartment buildings, malls and financial centers showcase its architecture, which incorporates the latest advancements in design, giving the district a singular personality to our city.
And so it is that San Isidro combines its history and tradition to the current modernity, offering many touristic attractions for our residents and for numerous people, both national and foreigners, who visit us daily.
Municipalidad de San Isidro (Lima - Perú)
Centro de Atención al Ciudadano. Calle 21 N° 765
Central:  513-9000 / Alerta San Isidro:  319-0450 / Alo Rentas:  513-9001